Principal Recognized for Getting Students Off Burning Bus | News
LAS VEGAS -- A high school principal is being recognized for his quick action in saving children from a burning tour bus.
The students of West Career and Technical Academy had just returned Saturday night from a field trip to California. Principal Monte Bay says the bus fire was one of the scariest experiences he has ever had. The bus caught fire just feet from the front doors of the school on West Charleston Avenue.
"And then all of a sudden our principal started yelling, for all us kids to 'get off, to get off the bus now, get going just keep going' because the bus might explode or something is going to happen," student Rylee Taylor said.
The Coach USA charter bus caught fire as students were preparing to unload from the bus and reunite with their families.
"When the bus pulled up, I actually had a parent come to the door and said they had seen some flashes and that quickly developed into larger flames and we immediately started moving the kids," Bay said.
As the principal rushed to get the students off the bus, some parents battled the flames. The rear tire exploded injuring two of the parents. None of the students were injured.
"They were right in front of the flames, I was in the front area trying to get the kids off," Bay said.
On Monday, Bay was recognized by the school district for his quick action in saving the students. Bay says it was a team effort to keep the kids safe. He said, fortunately all the students got off the bus before the flames got too big.
Some of the parents and students have been critical of the bus company and driver who operated the bus. They say the bus sounded an alarm and was running extremely hot before the fire. 8 News NOW contacted Coach USA but has not received a return phone call.